Over the past 10 years, I’ve read so many books trying to teach other children about Down syndrome and I do have to say, “My Friend Isabelle” by Eliza Woloson is still probably my favorite to explain to friends at school and “We’ll Paint the Octopus Red” by Stephanie Stuve-Bodeen is my favorite for siblings and cousins. Not saying others aren’t as good or helpful, they’re just my two favorites.
Also for any teachers out there or parents who are looking to buy this for their child’s school, “My Friend Isabelle“is also offered as a teacher’s package that offers classroom activities to go along with the book.
Then there’s a few others including:
- “My Friend Has Down Syndrome (Let’s Talk About It)” by Jennifer Moore-Mallinos
- “Taking Down Syndrome To School (Special Kids in School) by Jenna Glatzer
- “I Can, Can You?” by Marjorie W. Pitzer
- “My Up & Down & All Around Book” by Marjorie Pitzer M.Ed.
- “ABC for You and Me” by Meg Girnis